The cake smash is a great way to celebrate your baby's first birthday and a get a few fun images. Below are a few tips for a successful cake smash photo session .
Please note, If you want cake smash pictures for your baby’s 1st birthday invitations, contact us by the time your baby is 10 months because the session needs to take place when your baby is actually 11 months. Contact me to get on my calendar. Call me (850)348-0614 or email: email@example.com
- Bring two outfits: A cute first birthday outfit, and the cake smash “attire” (usually a diaper/cover…see below). The first few shots we get will be portraits of your baby dressed in a cute outfit for a couple traditional first birthday portraits. Then take a few minutes to change your baby into their cake smash “attire”.
- Let your baby have cake at least 2 times in the weeks leading up to the cake smash session. This way they will be familiar with cake enough to move past the exploration phase and they can get excited about it like the rest of us! Feeding them cake ahead of time also helps determine if your baby has any allergies or sensitivity from the icing coloring. But believe it or not, many babies think the texture of the icing feels weird. Some babies don’t like it at all and get upset when it won’t easily wipe off, and some babies are very interested in it and examine it very seriously.
- It is great to incorporate some decorations from the first birthday party (such as a crafty banner). We have discovered that most of our clients follow the “less is more” philosophy…they tend to like simple/clean/uncluttered look.
- The cake smash can be done inside your home or outdoors if the weather allows. If it happens on location, bring lots of wet wipes to clean your baby up, he/she will be super messy! Outdoor cake smashes are usually on the ground and with no solid backdrop. If we shoot in your home animals and siblings need to be in a different room because the cake is soooo tempting to eat. The best spot in your house to have the cake smash is usually a dining room, large entry way, kitchen or where ever there is about a 10×10 space. No high chair required.
- Most babies simply wear a diaper cover (like bloomers), a tutu or cloth diaper for the cake smash. A gDiaper or other color or pattern-coordinating cloth or designer diaper is fine. Some parents prefer to do the cake smash with the baby fully clothed instead of in a diaper, and this is totally fine with us. Just be aware that the clothes and diaper cover WILL be ruined by the icing coloring. (which is why I don’t provide the clothing!!)
- If your baby has a fever or is not feeling well on the day of the session, then it needs to be rescheduled. We will not get good results and good smiles if your baby isn’t feeling well. Just put the cake into the freezer for safe keeping. Take it out of the freezer with enough time to let it thaw prior to the next session.
- Have some puffs, Cheerios or your baby’s favorite dry finger food on hand to stuff into the cake in case he/she needs help being a little more interested in it.
- Also have a sippy cup within arms reach in case your baby gets thirsty. Your baby will need a little break.
- Have a spoon handy within arms reach in case we need to give your baby a little “help” smashing into the cake. Some babies are very clean and dainty with the cake and need some adult help getting messy.
- Have a small plastic toy (that can easily be cleaned) handy to give your baby when their back is facing the camera. Your baby will need a reason to sit still, and introducing a toy will help keep their attention for enough time to get some cute shots.
- The cake is not included in the price of your session. You are responsible for ordering and picking up.
- Please avoid ordering chocolate cake and please avoid fondant decorations (this can pose as a choking hazard).
- If you prefer to provide a home-baked cake yourself instead of from the bakery, please make sure that no toothpicks or other structural items are placed inside the cake. Also for home-baked cakes, please avoid lining the base plate with tin foil.
- There is a $5 extra fee added if your baby doesn’t share the cake with me. (just kidding!!) Happy Cake Smashing! -Oksana